Writing Assignments and Exercises on Communications
Write A Draft” Complete Writing Assignments #1 and #2 and Exercises #1 and #2 on p. 89.:
1. Read an article that interests you from a recently published academic journal. Closely examine a section, consisting of about five paragraphs, of the body of the paper. Based upon the characteristics of effective body paragraphs discussed in this chapter, write a 300-word analysis of this passage.
2. Select one of the following topics, and write an introductory paragraph and a concluding paragraph that would work well for that topic. (You may select two topics, one for an introductory paragraph and another for a concluding paragraph, if you prefer.)
■The responsibility of professional athletes as role models
■Classic novels made into movies
■Compare and contrast hamburgers from two different fast-food chains
■Television’s best sitcom
1. Write an opening paragraph for an essay about the characteristics of effective opening paragraphs for an academic essay.
2. Analyze the opening paragraph of an academic essay you have already written, turned in, and have had graded and returned to you. Write a one-paragraph evaluation of the quality of your opening based upon the criteria and the examples discussed in this chapter.
Revise Your Essay” Complete: Writing Assignment and Exercises #1 on pp. 109-110.
Read an article in an academic journal on a topic of interest to you. Study carefully four sequential paragraphs in the body of the article. Identify the topic sentence of each paragraph. (Remember that the topic sentence might be implied rather than stated explicitly.) Study carefully the author’s methods of establishing cohesion within each paragraph and among the four paragraphs. Write one paragraph in which you describe the methods the writer uses to develop his or her body paragraphs adequately. In another paragraph, describe the author’s use of transition, repetition, and substitution as cohesive ties within each paragraph and among the three paragraphs. See the commentary that accompanies the essays in Part Two for examples.
1. Revise each of the following paragraphs to improve their style. Do not alter the meaning of the paragraphs by adding anything to them or taking anything from them. You may rearrange the order and structure of sentences in ways you think most effective: