Why did the efforts of the “war on drugs” that began with the Nixon administration in 1971, fail?
Sheff states that the “war on drugs” that began with the Nixon administration in 1971, has failed. Vaughn also indicates that US policy efforts aimed at reducing the human and fiscal cost of alcohol and drug use, abuse, and addiction over the past 45 years have done little toward achieving that end. Why have these efforts failed? What are the contributing factors? 400 Words APA format.
Wormer, K. & Davis, D. (2018). Addiction treatment: a strengths perspective. Boston, MA: Cengage Learning. ISBN-13: 978-1305943308
Sheff, D. (2013). Clean: overcoming addiction and ending America’s greatest tragedy. Boston: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. ISBN: 978-0547848655
Vaughn, M. & Perron, B. (2013). Social work practice in the addictions. New York, NY: Springer. ISBN: 9781461453567
- A Drug Policy for the 21st Century
- McCabe, H.A., & Wahler, E.A. (2016). The Affordable Care Act, substance use disorders, and low-income clients: Implications for social work. Social Work, 61(3), 227-233.
- Volkow, N.D. & Boyle, M. (2018). Neuroscience of addiction: relevance to prevention and treatment. The American Journal of Psychiatry, 175(8), 729-740.
- Melemis, S. M. (2015). Relapse prevention and the five rules of recovery. The Yale Journal of Biology and Medicine, 88(3), 325-332.
- Gideon, L. (2010). Drug offenders’ perceptions of motivation: the role of motivation in rehabilitation and reintegration. International Journal of Offender Therapy and Comparative Criminology, 54(4), 597-610.
- Optional: Thacker, J., & Ward, T. (2010). Relapse prevention: a critique and proposed reconceptualisation. Behaviour Change, 27(3), 154-175.
- Optional: Relapse Prevention Plan Guides & Examples: How to Write a Bulletproof Relapse Prevention Plan, River Oaks; 5 Critical Components of Successful Relapse Prevention Plans, The Recovery Village; Your Relapse Prevention Plan Guide, Northpoint Washington.
- Relapse Prevention: A Relapse Prevention Plan: Early Warning Signs and Tools of Recovery. Read info on the webpage and watch Relapse Prevention Video – Transcript
- Neuroscience of Addiction Video: Directions for the Future – Time 29 mins (requires UNE Library sign-in), CC available
- “Recovery-Oriented Systems of Care” Episode 275 of the Counselor Toolbox podcast with Dr. Dawn-Elise Snipes, Time: (57:54 min).
- “Relapse Prevention Strategies” Episode 241 of the Counselor Toolbox podcast with Dr. Dawn-Elise Snipes, Time: (1:01:00 min). Transcript