Walden University Week 2 Sustainable Business Practices and Strategies Discussion
I. To prepare for this Discussion:
Review all required readings, including the Weekly Briefing, which provides additional guidance on how to complete the Assignment.
Review this week’s case study. You can, and should, scan it multiple times.
Identify and review all relevant readings from the Capstone Program Bibliography.
Prepare a polished analysis that responds to each of the three prompts below:
1. How would you explain the success of James Houghton and the Signature Theatre using the “five-question strategy playbook” and Wolfe’s “living organization” as your frames of reference? Be specific.
Then, review the Joseph (2009) article on implementing a balanced scorecard (a way to measure one’s strategy playbook). Recall that you read this article in a prior course. Pay particular attention to pages 119–123.
2. Using the strategy map illustrated on p. 122 as a guide, create a similar strategy map for the Signature Theatre (circa 2014). Attach your map to your original post in the Discussion board.
3. Based on your strategy map and earlier response, what should Houghton do in the future? Why? How?
Note: The third prompt is the most important element of your response and requires an analytic, rather than descriptive response. Be sure to integrate concepts and quotes from this week’s readings. To obtain an exemplary assessment, you mustWeek2 also integrate at least one resource from the Program Capstone Bibliography as well.
General Guidance: Your document will typically be approximately 1 single-spaced page in length.
II. To prepare for this Discussion:
• Review all required readings, including the Weekly Briefing, which provides additional guidance on how to complete the Assignment.
• Review this week’s case study and peer discussion.
• Identify and review all relevant readings from the Capstone Program Bibliography.
• Locate and maintain access to publicly available information about the organization’s mission, vision, and values. This information should be available in:
o Annual reports
o The organization’s official website
• Synthesize your answers to the following analytic questions as part of your formal assignment response. That means you should answer each question, then you should take your overall conclusions about your responses to write your response to the formal assignment below:
o What is the fundamental purpose of the organization (beyond “making money”)? Why does it exist and what problems does it solve in the world? (See Wolfe, 2009, pp. 121–128)
o Would the world be a better place if this organization no longer existed? Why or why not? (See Wolfe, 2009, pp. 121–128)
o Has the company been consistent and true toward achieving its purpose and vision over the years? Is it still consistent now? How? What could it do better?
o Are organization-wide goals stated merely in terms of market growth or financial outcomes for a year or two? Are there any more broad, stakeholder-related goals or “balanced scorecard” goals? How should they improve in this area (what goals should they have and why)?
o Do the stated mission and/or vision statements address all of the fundamental stakeholders explicitly (at an absolute minimum this should include employees, customers, shareholders)?
o Are the organization’s fundamental (soulful) purpose, mission, vision, and values aligned explicitly with one another, and with the actions of the organization?
• Consider what you learned from the James Houghton and Signature Theatre case study that you can apply to your chosen organization.
Prepare a polished and synthesized evaluation of your chosen organization’s (Kodak) stated mission, vision, and values statements. At a minimum you should address:
• Do the stated mission, vision, and values provide a strong foundation from which to clearly understand the organization’s Soulful Purpose? How and Why?
• What are the strengths and weaknesses of the stated mission, vision and values? Why?
• What revisions would you make to strengthen them (if necessary), and why? If you do not have recommendations, explain why you think the current stated mission, vision, and values are appropriate without revision and what criteria you suggest that organization use to evaluate those periodically so it can ensure that they remain relevant.
Be sure to back your evaluation with evidence and with reference to best practices from the case study, required readings, and relevant readings from the Capstone Program Bibliography.
NOTE: If the organization you are studying does not have formal mission, vision or value statements, create a draft of each, based on the application of your research and analysis of your company. Then explain why your version makes sense.
General Guidance: Your original Discussion post for the Capstone Forum will typically be 1 to 1 ½ single-spaced