SPC 1017 FSWSC W13 Promoting Retention in An Online Class Essay
For this project the instructor will divide the class into groups of three to four people. When you click on Collaborations, on the navigation bar to the left of this screen, your group members will be there. Choose Google Docs for the group work. You have two weeks to complete this project.
The goal of this project is to help students become more familiar with the Collaborations tool in Canvas and to have them work together respectfully and efficiently in an online group context. Group members should enter the discussions as quickly as possible, strive to cooperate with all members and persist in the discussions until the group project assignment is completed.
Your discussion question will be “What is the best way for an online professor to promote retention in an online course?”
For the purposes of this assignment, retention will be defined as:
- A student registers for an online course.
- That student completes the assignments for the course.
- The student receives a passing grade for the course.
The Group needs to come to a consensus and decide on the one best method or practice that an instructor can use to ensure that all students complete the course.
The Group Work Process
- Study the two links below:
- What are Collaborations? (Links to an external site.)
- How do I view Collaborations as a Student? (Links to an external site.)
- Next, click on Collaborations on the navigation menu to the left of the screen.
- Find your group members.
- The first person to go in should set up a discussion in Google Docs.
- Read instructions below.
- Start a Google Docs CollaborationLinks to an external site.
- Group members should proceed to chat online and set up a schedule for completion of the project.
- Individual members in each group will be graded on the number of times they enter Google Docs to plan and brainstorm the discussion topic with their group members.
Throughout the decision making process you will use Dewey’s Reflective Thinking Model as a guide. The steps are:
- How do you define the problem?
- What are the causes of the problem?
- What criteria must a successful solution meet?
- What are the possible solutions?
- Which is the best solution ?
Submit the Assignment–Title Page, Outline and APA References
Note: Please view the rubric for this assignment (at the bottom of this page) to see how you will be graded.
- Each group should produce a title page in APA that can go at the beginning of the outline file.
- Each group member will turn in one outline and one APA References page that was created by the entire group.
- For example, if a group has three members, the same outline will be turned in 3 times.
- Submit an outline that follows the sample below and include Word Count for the outline only.
- SPC 1017 Group Project Sentence Outline Template downloadMinimize File Preview
- You need a minimum of three to four in text citations in the outline that correspond with the sources in your References.
- Each group member will turn in one APA list of References.
- Again, if a group has three members, each member will turn in the same References.
- The reference list will have three or four scholarly sources, depending on group size.