SOWK University of North Texas Intersection of Trauma & Substance Use Disorder HW
- Theoretical Framework (Word count = 300-350)
- Did you have any misconceptions about the relationship between trauma and SUD that got reframed with the new information? (if so, what are they?)
- Is there any theoretical framework that explain the relationship between trauma and SUD? (for example, Torrens and Ross, 2015 – we had that in our discussion, but you can bring new theories too, from outside peer reviewed sources)
- How does the brain composition and the neurobiological processes affect trauma and SUD? You can provide example from your own experiences if you want? Could trauma be a co-occurring phenomenon to SUD?
- The Relational Framework (Word count = 300-350)
- How does trauma and SUD affect our relationships? What does co-dependency tell us about the interplay between SUD and traumatic personalities?
- Does the literature support the role of Adverse childhood experiences (ACE) on traumatic stress? Does it affect the environment (social networks/peer influences) in determining how we get introduced to addictions or how difficult we find it to quit.
- Is trauma always a risk factor to SUD or can it act as a protective factor as well? (you can write this section drawing from your own experiences and the book, or the literature)
- Conclusion (Word count = 200-250)
- How are the macro policies (war on drugs/state/federal/legalization) address the problem of SUD? Do you think it is trauma-informed? What are your suggestions?