Southeastern University Weapon Disarmament Should be Increased PPT
Topic: Of your choosing, as long as it follows the below
You need to organize, explain, and illustrate your points to make a compelling case using ethos, pathos, and logos. While you did an outline for last lesson, you may still change things for this presentation.
Select a UNIQUE topic that is appropriate for this audience, speech duration (5-7 minutes), and for making a persuasive speech. You MAY choose a controversial subject, but you may NOT pick a boring or funny/joke topic, and you may not argue for a purpose that is against a clear SEU handbook or biblical position (such as pro-abortion or pro-homosexual conduct). This may seem restrictive, but it is no different than what will be expected at a work site (you do not attack your own company’s values in public if you want to keep getting paychecks). If you have any doubts about your topic, run the idea by your professor before you start working on it. Good topics in the past have advocated for environmental or charity causes, advocated for good laws or foreign policy, argued for a particular theological stance, tried to motivate people to exercise, eat well, invest in stocks, or give up a bad habit. Whatever your topic you MUST:
- Research your topic and verbally cite a minimum of 3 sources during the oral presentation (sources must be credible — review the Source Credibility pages in Week 2 if you need a refresher). Try not to use Internet sources but instead use the library to get academic journal information on your topic or interview an expert).
- Use good logic and avoid fallacies. Use ethos, pathos, and logos.
- Use a communication artifact or other type of media (movie clip/music/poster/book/ppt slides/egg, etc.). Ensure the artifact helps you communicate and that it is well integrated. Note: do NOT use a movie/sound clip longer than 30 seconds.
- Have an audience of at least 3 people 11 or older. Deliver the speech in their direction (not to the camera or your notes or your slides).
- Ensure your total presentation time is between 5 and 7 minutes
Your professor will be looking for good persuasive organization structure, a clear thesis statement, powerful supporting points, and a concluding motivational line. You also must at least mention the other side’s perspective at least once to gain credibility.
1. Power Point for the Speech (Slides for 5-7 minutes of Speech)
2. Speech Outline (Please see template attached)