SMC Anne Lamott Ann Handley & Arthur Krystal Article Analysis Discussion
My professor said,
For the first writing assignment, I would like you to examine and consider your own writing style when it comes to thinking about literature. Please read the articles in step one and then answer the questions accordingly.
Step one: Read the following two quick articles:
- Anne Lamott’s “Shitty First Drafts
- Ann Handley’s “Nine Qualities of a Good Writer” (Links to an external site.)
- Arthur Krystal’s “What is Literature?” (Links to an external site.)
Step two: Answer the following questions.
1. Both Lamott and Handley’s article address the common shitty first draft analogy. Describe how each of the writers identify “shitty first drafts,” and what new students to composition can do to not turn in a shitty first draft.
2. From what Lamott has to say, is writing a first draft more about the product or the process? Do you agree with regard to your own first drafts? Explain.
3. How is writing like math, according to Handley?
4. Both Handley and Lamott (and me too) believe that writing can be taught. Do you? Explain your answer.
5. In thinking about Handley and Lamott’s theory of writing, how do you relate Krystal’s article with literature to writing?
6. Based on Krystal’s definition of literature, why is it important to think about literature in critical ways and then write about it?
7. Describe how you (personally) write an essay. (Meaning, do you wait until the last minute or do you plan? Do you outline or just type as you go along?)
Shitty first drafts: FILE BELOW
Ann Handley’s “Nine Qualities of a Good Writer”: https://annhandley.com/9-qualities-of-good-writing…
Arthur Krystal’s “What is Literature?” : https://harpers.org/archive/2014/03/what-is-litera…