SDSU Main Differences Between Generations at Work Discussion
Summarize this topic
Answer the questions
- What are the main differences between generations at work?
- How are the generations similar and different?
What are misconceptions about each generation?
- How has technology influenced each generation at work?
- How would you resolve a conflict between a Boomer manager who worries about the privacy and productivity aspects of social networking and a Gen Z employee who wants to use these tools on the job?
- Cover page and references page, please cite any materials used including the above resources (APA or MLA format is acceptable)
- Having different generations at work allows for more creativity and new ideas to be shared within the group. When you have individuals from different time spans in life, they are able to share ideas and provide feedback based on their life experiences. Some may think that due to many generations at work, it can cause many differences amongst colleagues. According to Harvard Business Review, “Most of the evidence for generational differences in preferences and values suggests that differences between these groups are quite small.” I have had the privilege to work with many different individuals of all different ages ranging from 18-68 years old. Although we were born in different generations, we were able to connect at work and share ideas and it didn’t feel like we were any different because of our age.
- I can recall a time when I worked at the first financial institution I got hired at, our service manager was older along with our private banker and the rest of the staff was mainly millennials. It was such a great experience because she was like a work mom and we all had the utmost respect for her as looked up to her as a mentor and leader. It didn’t make any of us feel like there was any differences at work besides the different music we listened to and different shows and movies we were into. What it all came down to was adaptability. No matter what age, we were all able to adapt to the changing systems, the new policies getting rolled out, and accept whatever change the
When it comes to generational differences, that occurs due to different generations experiencing different events during their time growing up. The music they listened to, the politics at the time, the movies they watched, along with the events that were occurring in the world will play a part in generations having different views and how they see the world.