PSYC 676 Liberty University Psychology Schizophrenia Management
Literature Review Paper: Topic Paragraph Assignment Instructions
Throughout the course of the term, you will be completing 4 cumulative assignments that are designed to guide you through the process of writing a Literature Review Paper. This paper utilizes empirical research to summarize and synthesize the existing body of scientific knowledge on an issue or topic.
For the current assignment, you will begin the process by writing a topic paragraph that sets the stage for the Literature Review Paper. In order to successfully complete this assignment, you will have to do some research on the topic that you have chosen. The focus of your topic/comprehensive Literature Review Paper will be SCHIZOPHRENIA
When selecting a topic, please make it as narrow as possible. There are hundreds (even thousands) of articles and books out there about most topics that you could imagine. The narrower you make your topic, the fewer sources you will need to obtain a truly comprehensive overview of the existing literature (e.g., the impact of stimulant medication treatment on cerebral development in young children diagnosed with ADHD, OR frontal lobe abnormalities in children with autism, OR treatments for verbal dyspraxia in children, OR attentional deficits in adults with obsessive-compulsive disorder).
The topic paragraph itself should be a general statement about the topic that you wish to explore in your Literature Review Paper. Brevity (i.e., economy of expression) is both required and appreciated, but please make sure that you include sufficient detail so that the topic you are interested in exploring is clear to the reader.
When writing the topic paragraph, provide a compelling rationale that supports the relevance of the topic with citations from at least 2 scholarly, peer-reviewed journal articles.
- The first sentence in the paragraph should be the “topic sentence” itself which succinctly states the topic that you intend to explore in your paper. (NOTE: This is NOT the same thing as the “thesis statement” that will provide the conceptual framework for your paper.)
- The next 3–5 sentences should present the supporting ideas that explicate the topic sentence.
- The final sentence in the paragraph, the “concluding sentence,” either leaves the reader with something to think about or summarizes the supporting ideas (especially if the paragraph is long).
- In-text citations are included and accurately formatted according to current APA guidelines.
- All text is typed and double-spaced in a standard, university-approved font.
- All pages utilize 1-inch margins.
- A current APA-formatted title page with a descriptive title is provided.
- A current APA-formatted references page with at least 2 scholarly, peer-reviewed resources is included.
- Individual references on the references page are formatted according to current APA guidelines.
- Sources on the references page match sources cited in the topic paragraph.
Writing and Organization
- Assignment is only 1 paragraph long
- Write in a scholarly writing style with a formal, graduate-level tone
- Be concise, not wordy
- Organize your ideas logically
- Utilize appropriate grammar, diction and punctuation