PHIL 003 Pasadena City College Ancient Greece Philosophers Questions
Use handouts attached. If need be, use external resources and cite. Your final answers for the entire test to take between 2 to 3 pages, single spaced. Do not write a book! (although a book could be written about some of these issues). The goal is for you to show me that you understand the issues and the implications of these theories (I am not asking how you feel about these, I am not asking for your personal opinion or personal reaction to these issues).
1. How would Plato answer the question, “Why by virtuous?” (10 points)
2. If I am a philosopher who is in a moral situation, and I am not sure which of the two choices is good and which is not good, how does Plato think I can resolve this problem? (10 points)
3. (1) Arguing against the Sophists, PLATO provided arguments to show that moral judgments are not subjective, but objective and absolute, and that complete certainty is attainable in ethics. Explain WHY Plato thought so; what were his arguments, his reasons?
(2) Why does ARISTOTLE argue that moral judgments are NOT objective or absolute, and that complete certainty is NOT attainable in ethical matters? WHY did Aristotle think this; what were his reasons? (15 points)
4. Explain what arguments Aristotle provided to provide evidence or support for his claim that eudaimonia is the chief good for human beings. (5 points)
5. What are TWO important philosophical differences between Aristotle and Epicurus? Briefly explain the two differences. (10 points)
The first difference is that Aristotle argued ______ but Epicurus argued_____.
The second difference is that Aristotle argued _______ but Epicurus argued______.
6. (1) Explain what Epicurus means by the technical term “ataraxia” (5 points).,
(2) Explain how Epicurus thought one could attain “ataraxia” (5 points)
7. Epicurus argued that the fear of death was superstitious and irrational. (1) Explain his arguments for this conclusion. (2) How is fear of death related to ethics according to Epicurus? (10 points)
8. Explain TWO important philosophical problems, objections, or difficulties concerning the ethical theory of Aristotle. (15 points)
9. Explain TWO important philosophical problems, objections, or difficulties concerning the ethical theory of Epicurus. (15 points)