Lincoln University The Five Practices for Exemplary Leadership Model HW
James Kouzes and Barry Posner are internationally known for using data to develop The Five Practices of Exemplary Leadership. The five practices have been used all over the world, helping individuals, teams, and organizations create exemplary leaders and productive teams and organizations.
Kouzes and Posner (2012) define The Five Practices of Exemplary Leadership as:
- Modeling the Way
- Clarify values by finding your voice and affirming shared values.
- Set the example by aligning actions with shared values.
- Inspiring a Shared Vision
- Envision the future by imagining exciting and ennobling possibilities.
- Enlist others in a common vision by appealing to shared aspirations.
- Challenging the Process
- Search for opportunities by seizing the initiative and looking outward for innovative ways to improve.
- Experiment and take risks by constantly generating small wins and learning from experience.
- Enabling Others to Act
- Foster collaboration by building trust and facilitating relationships.
- Strengthen others by increasing self-determination and developing competence.
- Encouraging the Heart
- Recognize contributions by showing appreciation for individual excellence.
- Celebrate the values and victories by creating a spirit of community.
In 4-6 paragraphs, using The Five Practices for Exemplary Leadership Model, answer the following prompts:
- explain your understanding of the five practices,
- explain how the five practices can assist in your academic success,
- discuss how each practice of the model aligns with your values (presented in week two – Personal Values Questionnaire), and
- define your leadership philosophy.
Responses must be in paragraph form, 4-6 sentences per paragraph, and thoroughly articulated complete thoughts. Also, you must use the APA Writing style (Links to an external site.). To assist with the assignment, you will need to review the resources provided. You are open to using additional sources to support your work. The Purdue Online Writing Lab (OWL) will help you to understand how to properly cite sources using APA.
Kouzes, J. M. & Posner, B. Z. (2012). The leadership challenge. San Francisco, CA: Wiley. (Links to an external site.)
Posner, B. Z. (2015, February 5). Why credibility is the foundation of leadership [YouTube]. Retrieved from
Purdue Online Writing Lab. (n.d.). General Format. Retrieved from https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/research_and_citation/apa_style/apa_formatting_and_style_guide/general_format.html