IBM Management Case Study
As an MBA you are a professional. The objective is professional analysis not personal opinion. Write as an organizational analyst using the scientific approach; do not provide opinion absent connection to evidence, theory and fact. Please do not use “I think”, “In my view/opinion/observation”…do not use “we”, “I”, “you”…write with a neutral tone.
Please use APA format with Title Page, citations, and references. Do not include an Abstract or a Table of Contents. Please follow APA format as described in the preparation module you have completed.
Follow this form:
Introduction: description of the setting, the introduction of the major themes or central arguments of the paper, and description of how the study was conducted using Bolman and Deal, and the sources of information for the Boeing 737 Max, IBM or ING.
Detail what Bolman and Deal mean by the structural frame and the information sought by using the structural frame for analysis.
Using information about the Boeing 737 Max, or ING, or IBM and specific to those case studies, what type of structural framework is found? Why do you think this?
Please do not conduct analysis and recommend changes yet.
Human resource analysis
- Detail what Bolman and Deal mean by the human resource frame and the information sought by using the human resource frame for analysis.
Using information about the Case Study and specific to the Case, describe the program using Bolman and Deal’s HR Frame.
- Outline the six assumptions of the structural frame.
- Explain Chandler’s concept of “structure follows strategy.”
- Explain how structural forms and functions influence what happens in the workplace.
- Differentiate the two structural processes: differentiation and integration.
- Explain how authority, rules and policies, and planning and control systems are employed within vertical coordination.
- Explain why the major forms of lateral coordination are important in organizations.
- Describe the various design options that organizations use to divide up work and coordinate multiple efforts.
- Define the five parameters that need to be considered in designing an optimal structural architecture.
- Explain why organizations sometimes need to combine centralized and decentralized structures in today’s global environment.
- Describe Mintzberg’s Fives.
- What structure do you find for the company in your case study initially?