GMC Bacillus Anthracis Can Be Found as Either Vegetative or Dormant Form Questions
- Discuss with your classmates if exercise would help prevent or treat constipation. Come up with a credible explanation for your argument, directly relating it to the digestive system.
- 1. On Saturday, Mark has a waffle with syrup for breakfast at 7:30, and by 11:00 he feels hungry again. On Sunday, he has bacon and eggs and feels satisfied until noon when he normally eats lunch. If he is eating equal amounts of food on both days, why is there a difference in hunger. 2.Which of the following do you think would have the worst effect on digestion: surgical removal of the pancreas, gallbladder, or stomach? Explain. 3.Why would a patient whose liver has been extensively damaged by hepatitis could show raised levels of thyroid hormone and bilirubin in the blood? A. Task 1: Create a new discussion post on or before Friday at 11:55pm EST by clicking the **REPLY HERE** post. Your initial response to this activity should include your answer to each of the questions above. Each answer should include a minimum of 5 sentences. For instance, if there are 2 questions above, your response should include at least 10 sentences (5 per answer). Going over the minimum sentence requirement is acceptable; however, I am not looking for an essay
B. Task 2: After you have created your new discussion post, you are required to read and respond to a minimum of 2 of your classmates discussion posts.
- Each of your responses should be a minimum of 5 sentences. Think of your responses in terms of a contribution to a dialogue, not a writing exercise or a chat room. Elaborate a single idea and keep your post short but concise as if you were holding a conversation with your classmate(s). Incorporate what you have learned from your weekly reading material and from your own real-world experiences.
A. Because this is a critical thinking exercise, it is important that you do your best to evaluate and assess the discussion without bias or judgment. You are expected to properly cite in APA format, but do not use direct quotations.
B. Be as thorough as possible when writing your Critical Thinking Exercise topic/posts, and remember, this is an academic assignment, so no “text-talk,” no conversational tone, and ABOVE ALL OTHER THINGS… don’t plagiarize!! Lastly, spell-check and proofread your work! Failure to follow these steps will negatively impact your grade.
- The Week 6 Critical Thinking Exercise will use the grading rubric listed in the Grading Rubrics section under the Course SyllabusE. A 35-year-old male presented to a London hospital complaining of difficulty breathing. His symptoms progressed quickly, and he was transferred to the hospital’s intensive treatment unit suffering from respiratory failure, which soon progressed to multiple organ failure. A blood culture revealed gram-positive, encapsulated, nonmotile rods preliminarily identified as Bacillus anthracis. This is the bacterium that causes the disease anthrax, and it has the ability to survive for long periods of time without water or nutrition. The presence of B. anthracis was later confirmed by the Novel and Dangerous Pathogens Division of Britain’s Health Protection Agency.
– What characteristic of B. anthracis allows the bacterium to survive without water or nutrition?
– Where is B. anthracis found?
Ref.: Cowan, M. K. (2014) (4th Ed.). Microbiology: A Systems Approach, McGraw Hill
4) Directions for the students: There are 4 essay questions. Please be sure to complete all of them with thorough substantive responses. Citations are required for all responses. There is no time limit.
A Construct a paragraph describing the interrelationship among the microbial pathogen, the affected host, and potential antimicrobial drugs in the development of an appropriate chemotherapeutic treatment.
B. A critically ill patient enters your emergency room, exhibiting signs and symptoms of severe septic shock. In this case, should you immediately begin treatment with a broad-spectrum drug or a narrow-spectrum drug? Explain your answer and discuss any possible consequences of using either drug in the patient.
C Amphotericin B is often referred to as “Amphi-Terrible” in medical settings due to its effects in treated patients. Describe when this drug should be prescribed, and provide a biological reason for its damaging activity on host cells. HAART, or highly active antiretroviral therapy, is currently recommended for the treatment of HIV and involves the administration of three or more medicines at one time. Explain why this combined therapy approach is more effective than single drug treatment in the management of HIV infection, providing current evidence to support your answer.
D Antibiotic-resistance genes, as well as other virulence factor genes, are easily passed between bacterial cells through horizontal gene transfer. Conduct additional research on New Delhi metallo-beta-lactamase 1 strains of bacteria, and explain why medical tourism poses a serious threat to the spread of this organism. Provide evidence to support your explanation.
Each answer should have a minimum of 5 sentences per question!