COM 223 Ashford University Humor and persuasion Essay
This week, the assignments will teach you about compliance tactics. You will also learn about humor in communication. We will learn these tactics through a discussions followed by an assignment. To help you accomplish these tasks, please read chapters eight and twelve in our text.
In our discussion, decide which compliance principles you may find effective, and I will ask you will explain what makes them effective. I would also like you to discuss why they are effective and which groups of people are susceptible to these tactics. Please use a personal example when you use such compliance tactics. Be sure to use APA-style references and citations in your answer and your reply to your classmates. Also, please make sure your responses are heuristic and move the conversation forward. Please submit your response by day 3 (Thursday), and make sure you respond heuristically to at least two of your classmates.
This week’s assignment will be a three-to-five-page paper investigating humor in persuasion. You are required to describe the effectiveness of humor in persuasion and the possible risks of this technique. Also, you must include previous persuasive theories and discuss how humor can assist or hinder these theories. Remember, you must use APA-style formatting (in the past, some students have forgotten about this). I look forward to receiving all of your work this week, and I hope we will have a great week together.
Humor and Persuasion
Prepare a 1000 – 1500 word paper (do not include title and reference pages in your word count), formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Writing Center, that details the effectiveness of humor in persuasion. Use both the Cline and Kellaris (1999) and Lyttle (2001) articles (located in the ProQuest database) as the basis for your observations. Your paper should delineate three or more aspects of the effectiveness of humor and indicate at least three risks of attempting to use humor in persuasion. Your paper should include previous theories of persuasion covered in this course and discuss how the technique of humor can support or limit the effectiveness of persuasion.
The Humor and Persuasion writing assignment:
- Must be 1000 to 1500 words in length (do not include title and references pages in your word count) and formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Writing Center (Links to an external site.).
- Must include a separate title page (Links to an external site.) with the following:
- Title of paper
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
- Must use at least one scholarly source in addition to the required articles listed above.
- The Scholarly, Peer Reviewed, and Other Credible Sources (Links to an external site.) table offers additional guidance on appropriate source types. If you have questions about whether a specific source is appropriate for this assignment, please contact your instructor. Your instructor has the final say about the appropriateness of a specific source for a particular assignment.
- Must document all sources in text (Links to an external site.) in APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
- Must include a separate references page (Links to an external site.) that is formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
these are the two articles that was mentiong above aslo attached:
Cline, T. W., & Kellaris, J. J. (1999). The joint impact of humor and argument strength in a print advertising context: A case for weaker arguments. Psychology & Marketing, 16(1), 69-86.
Lyttle, J. (2001). The effectiveness of humor in persuasion: The case of business ethics training. Journal of General Psychology, 128(2), 206.