In 1995, a terrorist organization, Aum Shimrikyo, used sarin gas in Tokyo, Japan. For this assignment, utilize the CSU Online Library to research the Aum Shinrikyo incident. You will then write a case study of the incident. Your case study should address, at a minimum, the following items:
- Summarize the incident, to include any background information relevant to understanding its occurrence.
- Describe the attributes of a sarin gas attack and why sarin, when used as a chemical, biological, radiological, nuclear, and explosive (CBRNE) agent, is so dangerous.
- Discuss how the sarin gas was dispersed and detected.
- Analyze the impact of the Aum Shinrikyo attack and the potential impact had another dispersal system been used.
- Examine the role of emergency dispatch centers in assisting first responders to choose the correct response and protection equipment in response to this attack. What protective equipment was utilized?
- Analyze how the use of technology factored into the detection and response to this incident.
- Contrast this incident with a similar one that might occur in present day. What differences would we see in the use of technology and protective equipment in both the detection and response phases?
Your case study should be a minimum of two pages, not counting the title and reference pages. Your analysis of the Aum Shinrikyo incident should present an insightful and thorough analysis with strong arguments and evidence.
You must use a minimum of three sources in your analysis, one of which must come from the CSU Online Library. All sources used must be properly cited. Your case study, including all references, should be formatted in APA style.